Monday, February 7, 2011

Ness' Welcome

Hi!  I'm Vanessa!  Most of my friends and family call me Ness.  I have created this blog to share my love of four things with whomever choses to read it: knitting, bunnies, bettas, and my boyfriend John (awwwww!).



I have two big ol' buns, which I rescued from local shelters.  I've had Spike for a little over a year.  He's a 5- or 6-year-old Californian with a temper!  With some lovin', I calmed him down a bit, but it was the sweet little girl I adopted a couple months ago who turned him into a little teddy bear.  Her name is Margaret Nibblet Sweetpea (she's a little trouble maker), but we call her Sweetpea.  She is just the sweetest little bun you've ever seen!  She was attacked by a dog at the shelter and I have determined that the toes on her right feet are paralyzed.  You wouldn't know it if I didn't tell you, I'm sure.  Spike has helped her get around much better.  He's also a good pillow for her when she gets to leaning (a thing she does often because of the weakness in her right side).  She's about 2 and a half years old and if you can guess what kind of bunny she is, I'll thank you, because I don't know.   The best guess I've heard is some kind of lop.  I know, I know, her ears stand up!  But look at how HUGE they are!  And the very tips are pretty floppy.  My buns are madly in love.  It's an awwww-fest at my house.  John could tell you!

I've been knitting for about 4 years now.  I started with a couple scarves, got bored, and went straight to leg warmers and a sweater.  I've been pushing myself ever since.  I knit like there's no tomorrow!  I'll try anything once, if I haven't already.  I used to work in a local yarn shop (Crazy Girl Yarn Shop).  I miss it a lot, but I couldn't balance it with school.  I've been doing commissions here and there and I love to seam (I know!  Send it to me, I'll do it!).  I'm only just now getting the hang of gauge and my bust measurement.  I've got some embarrassing pieces in the closet, haha.  I've got some really great ones too, though.  I have a Ravelry page (the feed for it is over there =>, I just need to find a cute little button to link it), if you want to check it out.  I've been told my notes there area joy to read.  I'm hoping I can carry that over here.

I can't tell you much about bettas except that I love them.  This is mainly because John breeds them, but I'll let him tell you about that.  I have one that lives at my place with the bunnies.  Her name is Corinna (Ovid's girlfriend. I don't suppose I mentioned that I'm a Classics Ph.D. student).  She's a big, beautiful yellow-orange halfmoon betta.  I absolutely love the colors and the attitudes bettas have.  They are so suited to the aesthetics of a knitter that I know any knitters reading this blog will be interested to read about them and look at them as well.  I can't say the same for betta-lovers about my knitting, but I foresee this venture as a well-balanced account of both (with bunnies tossed in from time to time because who doesn't love cute bunnies?!).

John and I are co-writing this blog, so I'll let him tell you about himself and his love for the bettas.  We are both very excited to embark on this venture together and hope we can amass a group of interested readers.

Bear with us (me, really) as we get the bugs worked out and the background and banner plastered up.  Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. YAY! A nessy-poo and John blog. I would say that when me and the boy are in the same zip code again we could totally do one, but I think it would be mostly me... I don't think the boy is a blogger like me. I'll work on it though. CUTE CUTE CUTE. I love it. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I love to hear what's on your mind!