Saturday, March 26, 2011

A Running Hat

As promised (though not sooner than Friday, as I had hoped):

Tetsubou


Pattern: Tetsubou
Yarn: Shibui Knits Sock
Needles: US 4 & 7

I started running in January or February.  The days were often just warm enough for a jog outside, so I took the opportunity when I could.  I have two jackets I love to run in, one with a hood, but no zippers on the pockets, the other with zippers, but no hood!  I was having such trouble keeping my ears warm, that I'm pretty sure I was on the verge of an ear infection more than once.

See the cuddly buns? :)
Then, I found Tetsubou rolling through my friends' favorites on Ravelry and fell in love.  I'm not a hat person, per se, which is why I never wore one running (I didn't have one!).  But this one was perfect!  It's even got the detail for a ponytail!

Needless to say, I whipped it out in a few days and now I wear it as often as possible.  It's been too cold this week to run outside at all, though.  C'mon, Spring!

The yarn is absolutely fantastic!  I bought some Shibui Knits in January on sale from Eat.Sleep.Knit for a sweater and haven't used it yet.  I knew I wanted something slightly variegated and bright for this hat (it is a running hat, after all,  and I tend to run in the evenings).  I looked at all the sock yarns Eat.Sleep.Knit had and stumbled across this one.  It's superwash, stunning, and comes in a 191 yd hank.  Having looked at finished projects on Ravelry, I knew I only needed half a traditional skein of sock yarn.  I had no idea what I would do with 200 left-over yards of sock yarn, so this find was ideal.  And!  It matches my running shoes!  Unintentional, but fun. :)

The pattern is great!  It's very well written.  I confused myself with the distance between the two fold details, but that was because I had my own strange conception of how it should be done and didn't just read the pattern.  It came out great when I finally figured it out, though.

All in all, one of my favorite finished objects to date!  I highly recommend it!

In other news, next week is the 2nd Annual Knitting and Crochet Blog Week.  I'll be posting about knitting stuff each day next week.  John said he would try to get in some fish stuff too.  :)


I should say that I will try to post daily.  Comps start next weekend. :S

Have a great weekend!  Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. What a great color. I also love the layout of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks and thanks! A few things still need some tweaking, but we're getting there. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I love to hear what's on your mind!