Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Story of a Sock

Five minutes! Can I write a post that quickly?  Probably not.  But I must try.  I have a SHIT-TON of reading to do before tomorrow (as always).  So, without further ado, I present to you:

Orion's Nebula



Pattern: Skew
Yarn: Holiday Yarns FlockSock in Orion's Nebula (Stellar Sock Club)
Needles: US 1
Project Page


Socks 3 & 2

Sock 1
My notes on these socks (see Project Page) would qualify as an epic tale if I had written them in verse.  It is a tale of sock yarn that didn't know what it wanted to be.  It began as Hedera, then was reborn as Skew, but too small.  It was reborn a third time as a poorly-pooling Skew and a fourth (from the Too-Small-Skew and the Poorly-Pooling-Skew stranded alternately) into a pretty much perfect Skew.  Sock number five (the first and only right sock), was the best of all Skew socks and now I have a splendid pair!  Hurrah!


I'm not a sock person.  Perhaps now you can see why.  I did make one sock for the boy in between hours of frantic comps-studying.  It's not quite right, but I think it will only take one more sock to get it that way (or just lengthening the cuff and making the right sock better, I haven't decided which yet).  Aside from not being a sock person, I foresee a lot of socks in my future.  I have more yummy Stellar Sock yarn (I haven't shared it yet!  I'll get on that!) and John insists that I will be making him many more socks.

Socks 5 & 4
Sock 5
Now I really must do my homework.  John has fishy pictures (they are growing up so fast and purdy!).  Once his thesis is thoroughly out of the way, he'll share them with you.

I hope your lives are not quite as hectic as ours!

4 comments:

  1. I love the pooling on the heel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Lovely socks, those. Knitting them many times was well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys! :) I wear them a lot. If I never have to make them again, I'll be super happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great socks! I have yet to try knitting socks. I don't know why but there is something about sock knitting that scares me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I love to hear what's on your mind!