Friday, February 17, 2012

Checking the List

I asked you guys to help me decide what to knit next and you came to my rescue. The List looks thusly:


1) Star Crossed Slouchy Beret
2) Sweet and Bridgewater
3) LOFT gloves and Still Light Tunic
4) Slouchy Socks.

Here is the first item from the list:

Star Crossed


Pattern: Star Crossed Slouchy Beret
Yarn: Quince and Co. Lark in Egret
Needles: US 10 and 11
Project Page

I had a full skein leftover from my aunt's (and now my cousin's) Rocky Coast Cardigan and wanted to make this pattern because a coworker at the yarn shop used to teach a class on cabling with it. When the sample sits around in the shop long enough, I have to examine it and frequently come to find that I feel I'd like to make it too! I wasn't sure I would have enough yarn, so I came up with a contingency plan (leaving out half of a repeat) and soldiered on. I didn't have to resort to that plan because I didn't run out of yarn! I bound off with one yarn left over. Perfect. I haven't yet decided if it's a hat I'll wear much, if at all and I think one of John's sister's would look cute in it (if she could be convinced to wear hats), so I may see if she wants it. If not...someone will. :)

This is a really great project, honestly. You do have to read the instructions, though. Every project page I looked at on Ravelry said "I didn't read it very closely..." and I fit in there too. I did twice as many cables as I should have in the first full pattern repeat and had to rip back to the ribbing to start again. I felt pretty dumb. I read the rest carefully. :) I made it in less than 24 hours, I think. I probably should have been doing something more productive, though....

I also whipped this thing up for John for Valentine's Day. I promised it to him when he first moved into the condo...a year and a half ago. Oops. :) Lucky for him, Slytherin house (of which I am proudly apart) in the Harry Potter Knitting and Crochet House Cup on Ravelry was doing a Carp-a-long to rack up some points in detention with fish-shaped objects, otherwise he would have had to keep on waiting and wishing and hoping. I think it looks super home-ec.-y, but it's cute. It also doesn't photograph well. It makes much more sense in person. I promise. You can find my notes on it here. I owe him a few more decorations, so it's not an official finished object, just...a thing I finished?

Next week, I shall finish a striped test-knit and have at least one more item from The List (as we shall come to know it) to show you. You guys chose well! I do wish I had made a Sweet hat for V-Day. :/ It would have been super cute (and warm!). We haven't done V-Day dinner-out yet, though, so there is still technically time.

For more FO Friday posts, hop on over to Tami's Amis!

4 comments:

  1. The star crossed pattern is a great one. Yours turned out particularly well! Cannot wait to she the test knit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope I can find the time to finish the test knit this week. :S I ran out of grey yarn. :P

      Delete
  2. Hi fellow House-cupper! ::waves:: Love the hat--I knit one of those up last year and found it easy as long as one pays close attention to the pattern, like you said. The fish... mobile (?) is pretty awesome too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I love to hear what's on your mind!