Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Big Stash, Big Memories

Besides grafting the bodice of my wedding dress to the skirt (woohoo!), I'm not working on much knitting, per se. Instead, I've been working on updating my Ravelry Stash. It's gotten rather enormous in the last year, but last week it got an abnormally large number of additions because of the sad news that the yarn shop at which I worked was closing its doors.

Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool XL

Last Tuesday, Crazy Girl Yarn Shop closed its doors. It was a sad day and a crazy few days leading up to it. Saying goodbye to our regulars was the worst, but seeing crowds upon crowds of people coming in for one last purchase was sort of nice. We hadn't been so busy in at least a year. Many of us (employees and customers alike) are still sort of in shock, but moving forward. We have generated a knitting guild chapter in the area to fill in the hole for regular knitting groups who met at the shop. Hopefully these new meetings will take off like they did at the shop.

Koigu KPPPM

It's not like there aren't any other knitting shops in town. There are three, actually, but each has a quite different atmosphere and clientele than Crazy Girl did. I always have and will continue to visit them, but I know none of them will be able to fill the void that Crazy Girl has left in me. I have gone every week since I moved here five years ago (it was just a few minutes' walk away!). I got hired because I was always there anyway. I absolutely loved working there. I met so many incredible people! I hope I can keep in touch with them all.

Berroco Ultra Alpaca Light

In any case, I bought too much yarn last week and these are only one-skein samples of the piles I picked up. I'm not entirely sure what I'll do with some of it, but as long as I have it to remind me of the shop, I'm happy to keep it stored away until that project comes up. :)

I swear up and down that I will have an FO for you Friday! Either a sweater, mitts, or The Dress!

For more WIP Wednesday posts, please visit Tami's Amis!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, too bad about the yarn shop. That Silky Wool XL looks gorgeous! I look forward to hearing how it knits up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a cowl out of it for the shop and it's actually not half bad! It's really scratchy to start with, but softens up nicely! Hopefully the same will be true of the sweater I have planned for it!

      Delete
  2. i'm sorry to hear about your LYS. i know exactly what you mean about the mood & audience of each yarn store. when you find one that work for you, it's hard to watch it go.

    but nice stash enhancing! excited to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I love to hear what's on your mind!