Friday, October 18, 2013

Set Backs

I'm not usually bothered by having to rip out hours of work, but this one is going to sting a bit. It's not that I didn't check my gauge (I did that obsessively as I knitted), but that I didn't account for the obvious: I'm using dk to knit a pattern written for fingering weight yarn. My gauge matches the written finished gauge. I figured, if it grew at all, no biggy, it's a baggy sweater anyway. My mistake was not paying attention to the row gauge earlier, which is a full stitch off.


I bet you don't usually pay much mind to row gauge either (and if you do, you rock!). Usually, you don't need to. There are times when you should, though. Making raglan sweaters is one of those times because your armholes will be too long or too short if you don't have the row gauge just right. My armhole will be two inches too long if I continue. It might not make a difference due to the nature of this sweater's odd shape, but I don't want to mess with a good thing!


So, sometime this weekend, I'm going to tear out this lovely lump of fabric and try again. Good thing I have a million other projects in the works. :)

I wish you lots of happy knitting and a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, sorry Vanessa! I hate when that happens and it happens to me frequently. I've never had my row gauge off in a way I couldn't fix by just knitting a few more rows or raglan increase rows, but my stitch count is often a problem. The funny thing is that, even with your starting over, you will finish this sweater within a period of time that will impress most knitters and all non-knitters. We just get impatient once we're used to churning the sweaters out. I realized on my last twice- knit sweater that I really think a sweater should take two weeks, tops. And I'm so annoyed when it doesnt (obviously). When did I get to be this way?! Anyway, hope your re-knit is enjoyable and accompanies some good music, conversation, or tv. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been getting aggravated by sweaters that take longer than two weeks too. I can do it in the summer when I have nothing else to do. I just forget that the school year means I need to do school before knitting! :) I've been plowing through my second sweater, so this one won't take much time when I get back to it.

      Delete
  2. ack! that's rough!

    it's looking good though! i love the beautiful tweedy fabric of this knit!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I love to hear what's on your mind!