Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Improvisation

I don't knit with bulky or super bulky yarn very often at all. That means I don't have any needles larger than US 11. I just can't justify the cost of giant needles I might use once a year. I've rigged up a solution, though. It's not always easy or as quick as I'd like, but it gets the job done.


I needed a US 13, so I am holding a US 6 and 7 together. They equal a US 13! Nifty, right? Navigating knitting with two pointy tips isn't exactly a picnic, but you find a rhythm after a while. If I had to make a sweater or giant shawl or something, I'd break down and buy the big needles. Fortunately, this is just a hat. :)

Sorry the weekend ate me. I had a sick bunny and got a bit sick myself. Fun all around. I'm finally on the mend and feeling optimistic about life again, haha. Hopefully, I'll finally have a chance to get some photos of my new fabulous shawl!

What are you working on? Did you have the needles for it stashed away or did you have to go out and get them? Do you use larger or smaller needles more often?

For more WIP Wednesday posts, visit Tami's Amis!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I hope you're feeling better, and the bunny too!

    I have an embarrassing number of knitting needles. DPNs, straight, circular ... I know other knitters have more, but sometimes I feel like the Imelda Marcos of knitting needles! I don't have many large ones, though. 11, 13, maybe a 15. Straights. I prefer mid-sized needles, 5 or 6, on worsted weight yarn. I don't like superfine, but will use it for lace.

    I love the colors in your project. Very Eastery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel better, thank you! Spike's better too. :) I prefer mid-sized needles too, but have a bunch of fine ones. If it weren't for two sets of interchangeable needles, I'd have quite a collection too, lol.

      Delete
  2. Dollars to donuts Colleen has what you need. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! And probably more than a set or two! :) If I'd thought about it, I would have asked her!

      Delete
  3. Wow, I can't imagine knitting with two points, I have a hard enough time with normal DPNs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably more trouble than it's worth, honestly, but I'm the queen of making things hard for myself while assuming I'm being clever, haha. Really, once I got into the groove, it wasn't too difficult at all.

      Delete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I love to hear what's on your mind!