Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Blog Hop

Sorry I sort of fell off the map last week. This fall has been a busy one, though I don't have much to show for it. :P

I was invited by Ine over at a picture book mind to take part in a blog hop. Thank you so much of thinking of me, Ine! So... here goes!

1. What am I working on?


Knitting, as ever, but I thought maybe I'd let you know a couple other things I'm doing, too. Knitting first: I just cast on this pair of socks in perhaps my favorite Hedgehog Fibres colorway I've been fortunate enough to get my hands on so far (which has been too few!). It is called Windbreaker and I'm pairing it with the dyer's own pattern Vestigial. I'm also still working on a sparkly green Grace. Just needs sleeves (like all my other wips ;))!


I'm also working on a couple of art projects. One is repainting my doll again (this is the third and final time--for a while--I pray), this time painting her whole body instead of just her hands and face. The other art project is one that's entirely in my head at the moment, but I intend to storyboard it soon. It will be a graphic rendition of The Decemberists' album The Hazards of Love. Every time I listen to it (which is often), I have vivid images of the characters and settings that I feel I should start putting on paper pretty soon. It will likely be a looooong term project since I've already been thinking about it since the album was released a couple years ago, but I think it will be fun.

2. How does my work differ from others of its genre?



I don't know if this question is answerable concerning my knitting. I tend to pick bold colors, but many other knitters do too, so I don't know if that makes it different. It's interesting to think about knitting as a genre. There are definitely designers whose designs I can pick out instantly, but I don't know how we can differentiate between those who knit others' designs besides the color palette each knitter gravitates too or her chosen alterations. I'm sure there are distinguishing markers, I just haven't sat down to think about it....


My art is a little easier to make out as my own. Granted, I haven't done it for nearly a decade, but I assume my style hasn't changed much. :) I prefer to work in pencils and I strive for super-realism. That doesn't necessarily differentiate me from other super-realist pencil artists, but I tend to have a very light hand, which does make me a bit different, I think. In the last couple of years before I set the art aside, I really took to working in pen. This helped a bit with my light hand so it didn't get too lost. My goal is to return to that with The Hazards of Love project, though I might sacrifice the super-realism.

3. Why do I write/create what I do?


This is an easy one. I've always been an imaginative person. I daydream and I'm easily distracted. I get hung up on images or ideas and want to explore them. I knit because it keeps me grounded. I listen better with knitting in my hands and I can focus on what I need to focus on--like lectures or puzzling through my dissertation--without tumbling into a passing thought. I used to doodle extensively as an undergrad. My notes contain more art than substance. :) Art and the doll give me the chance to exercise my imagination. I need to do it more often now that the stress of grad school (finishing it, specifically) is piling on. It's so nice to not think about all the stressful stuff 24/7 and to create something that won't be criticized or graded or otherwise evaluated. I leave school at school and think about what color my new doll's eyes should be or how the Fairy Queen will look: like a person or a tree?

4. How does my writing/illustration/creative process work?


I don't know how much of a process it is, but it's true for knitting and for drawing: I plan for ages and ages, then finally, one day, sit down and start on it. Knitting I work on endlessly, ripping back for mistakes or measuring for alterations. The art is pretty much the same, except I have to work on it in spurts. I typically focus on one area at a time until it's perfect. Super-realism takes it out of me, so I can't stare at it too long or work on it as vigorously as the knitting. I actually have a lot of unfinished or really weird-looking works because I just never found the time to finish them (see above). In the end, I either like it or I don't and I move on to the next thing, having enjoyed the process thoroughly, if not always the end product (if there is one).

Because I've been busy the last couple of weeks, I'm behind in inviting the three bloggers I have in mind, so I'll have to update this post and alert you next post when I've asked them and they've participated. This has been an interesting brain exercise, so I encourage you to take the questions to your own blog whether invited or not and let me know you've posted so I can learn about your creative process.

Please hop on over to Ine's post here to read her answers. She's an incredibly talented artist and knitter (though only a beginner! I can't believe it!).

10 comments:

  1. Your art is really amazing, I'm blown away! And I agree on the colourway you're using for your socks, it's really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Back when I had hours to work on it (and did!). :) Everyone who sees my socks comments on how stunning the color is.

      Delete
  2. Ness, I'm so glad I asked you to join the blog hop! It was lovely to read your story. I had no idea you were into graphite realism! Good luck with your Hazards of Love-project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you asked too! :) I haven't done it in ages, but I miss it and hope to find time for it again. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. The color of that vestigal is so beautiful! Your art is awesome as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and thanks! :) I always love to see your art. The mural is coming along beautifully!

      Delete
  4. I love seeing your art projects other than knitting here! I haven't been blogging it reading blogs as much lately, so I've probably missed out on a lot of what you've shared since you started drawing again. I imagine it does wonders for your perspective and enjoyment of the process, to be able to set one form of art aside for another. It's like knitters who keep both a complicated project and a tv knit on the needles at once. Only you're jumping from one form of self expression to a completely different type. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't blog about the drawing (yet?), so you haven't missed anything. I haven't been drawing much yet, honestly, but it is nice to have some other creative form to fall back on.

      Delete
  5. Wow. Your work is amazing! So inspired.

    I was big on doodling on my notes, too. It helped me pay attention when I may have otherwise found my mind lost in space. I wish I'd known about knitting back then, though. I could've made so may pairs of socks on the bus rides, the spaces of time between classes and the daily lectures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I totally agree with everything you said. I couldn't pay attention without busy hands. Knitting would have made me a better student and a more productive one, at that, haha.

      Delete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I love to hear what's on your mind!