Wednesday, October 17, 2012

If You Don't Sleep....

You can get a lot done in those eight hours your's supposed to be sleeping. I'm too old for all-nighters, so I'm sleeping, just not the usual 8-9 hours. I can function on 5 at the least and I'm testing it hard this week! I've been really productive, so that helps keep my spirits up when my eyes are drooping. I'm knitting up a storm, too (but only when my brain threatens to explode)!


This is an Insouciant, which I'm calling Falling. It's incredible. It's too spring-like to be knitting now, but I can get some fall wear out of it too, I hope. The yarn is from those cones my friend pawned off on me. I'm kind of crazy about the yarn! I wasn't so sure at first.


This is a vest for John. I'm calling it Hancock for the skyscraper in Chicago. The color reminds me of the building. I've knit the vest before. I love it, but didn't want to knit it for him. He wanted a buttoned vest, though and liked that one. I hope I can make it look less '30s and more...him. The color alone so far is doing all the work.


And this is Rock Island. I'm doing one 8-row edge repeat for every page of Greek I read a day. I'm not reading enough, but the prize of knitting a repeat is great incentive to read. The reading is also getting much easier, faster, and more enjoyable, so it's a win-win situation. I have no idea where all my shorter cables are (you know you need to finish something when...), so I've been knitting 14-16 stitches on a 32" cable! It's obnoxious, but it will be easier when I start working the body of the shawl. Right now the edging looks like...well...that. I have to keep stopping and stretching it to remind myself that it will be stunning.

I also have a freshly-started Double-Leafed Saroyan in the car. We are knitting-along at the shop where I work and it's so much fun to see all the different yarn, color, fiber, and pattern choices! I think I'm officially the slowest right now. Hopefully, I'll have some progress and pics to share next week.

I don't know if I'll have anything finished for Friday. Maybe I'll finally get some baby booties done. I do have a small project I'll share if nothing else comes off the needles. It's cute, if nothing else. :) How are you guys doing? Got any extra hours lying around I can borrow for the next couple of days? Sleep well for me, if nothing else! I'm going to bed early tonight and sleeping in tomorrow, I'll tell you that much!

For more WIP Wednesday post, go to Tami's Amis. Have you seen her Witch's Brew colorway? I'm hankering for it big time. If I survive the week, I'm buying it!

6 comments:

  1. How sweet of you to knit your guy a vest! Gray is always my go-to guy color, it always works. Also your Falling is GORGEOUS. The texture is amazing, absolutely beautiful. I love how you are able to transform a simple yarn into something amazing. I hope you find time for sleep too, I'm definitely in the same boat. Lucky for me I'm currently on a medication that has the side effect of energy and insomnia, very useful when I have an exam on lipid synthesis (so boring...) coming up. You are my hero for surviving grad school while knitting so many amazing projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I've come to realize that my program is a little less grueling than some (or, at least, I don't work as hard as maybe I should, though I get things done), so I can fit in a lot of knitting if I want to. Knitting is my back-up in case I can't get a job in my field, which is a very real worry. I really can't wait to wear Falling. It's going to be amazing!

      Delete
  2. First of all, I love your blog! So fresh and inspiring, you have a new follower! :)
    I've been wanting to knit the rock island shawl for mooonths. But it just didn't happen yet... I've been through the 'less sleep means more time to knit' phase... it was very productive but also very exhausting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It means a lot to read that. :) It is really exhausting. I've done all-nighters knitting thinking it would be fun. It's not! Stay tuned and we'll figure out whether Rock Island is worth it (I have a hunch it is)!

      Delete
  3. Going to download Rock Island and Double Leaf Saroyan soon as I get home tonight! I can't wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I love to hear what's on your mind!