Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Oops!

I did a naughty and cast-on two projects this week when I should have been finishing a test knit and works-in-progress. My bad.


This alone is worth documentation: a long-tail cast-on I did perfectly on the first try! I don't do the long-tail as a rule. I can never guess how much yarn I'll need to do it. The knit cast-on or cable cast-on are much more sturdy and reliable. The pattern called for it, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Just one, though. I lucked out! Which cast-on do you usually use? I'm always looking to expand my cast-on and bind-off knowledge.

Also, do you know if Rowan Felted Tweed is prone to rolling in stockinette or does it block out? I'm not sure if I should do a purl row first or just start with the stockinette....


I also started this boot sock in cashmere(!). The weather has been screaming at me for the last couple of weeks: "Autumn is coming! You are not knit-ready!" Socks for my boots and a new sweater on the needles = getting there, Autumn. I'll have to start knitting faster, though because I'm certain my fall and winter clothes are irretrievably buried in the storage closet. Yarn is my only hope for surviving this winter.

I would also cast on a second sweater tonight, but since I'm not sure which project my 9s are in or how close that project is to being finished, I'll just have to wait until I have done a thorough investigation. I have big plans for the weekend (that involve as much knitting as possible, if you couldn't tell ;]), do you?

For more WIP Wednesday posts, hop on over to Tami's Amis! I'll see you soon!

5 comments:

  1. I use the long tail cast on for almost everything, and the way I measure how much I need is about 12 inches for every 20 stitches. If I have 50 or more, I'll usually add a foot or two just to be safe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! I'll have to try that! I got it in two tries today. That's also pretty lucky. :)

      Delete
  2. my preferred cast on is cable cast-on :D it's the bessssst! i'm always willing to try new things, though, when patterns call for it! although, i tend to prefer fancier bind-offs to fancier cast-ons, for whatever reason. maybe i'm more impatient to get to the knitting at the beginning?

    those boot socks are gonna be cuuuute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cable and knit cast-ons have never steered me wrong, so why mess with them, right? Hat you sent me has me dying to try a tubular cast-on.

      Delete
  3. I nearly always use a cable cast on. My trick with longtail is to knot two different balls together to cast on something big and then I know it will succeed. My newest learned cast on technique is longtail purl cast on. I found it while making Amanda Lilley's Bliss shawl. The great thing is you can start knitting as soon as you cast on.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I love to hear what's on your mind!