The gears came out just as I had hoped. I used one of my favorite techniques for that part: put down a (dark) sketch on the bare paper in pencil, lay a layer or two of charcoal over top (cover the area in charcoal and use a tissue or paper towel to smooth it), and use chalk or conte crayon to raise a subject out of the dark. I'm under the delusion that I'll have time to play around with my art supplies this semester. We'll see if I can manage it once or twice a week.
I've got some finishing to do before school starts tomorrow (in knitting and school work), so I better keep this short. I'll see you Wednesday!